Hi to my five readers, hope that you are sewing lots.
I made this about two weeks ago.
Like the lazy mofo I am, I decided that I wouldn’t change the colour of my overlocker thread (despite having a Babylock that takes 30 seconds to thread) and that I would do French seams on my next Tessuti Bella Dress.
I forgot that I wanted to include pockets (because all dresses should have pockets). I figured out a way to have French seams on my pockets, but it involved hand stitching them. I got into the Netflix series Empresses in The Palace while doing this. It has subtitles, so it took four hours to sew.
Anyway, it’s adorable as fuck.
I am stealing and altering the Pattern Review standard questions for my reviews, because I want to.
Pattern Description: Tessuti Bella Dress Pattern Sizing: XXS to XL, used L Fabric Used: Cat print linen cotton blend from Spotlight. Approx 2.6m Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: adjusted last time. Conclusion: Currently looking through my stash for more fabric to make another
2019 fabric used 2.6m this time + 2m last time = 4.6m total.
I grew up in North Queensland, Australia. Specifically Townsville (yes, it’s a real place!). Townsville is the main city in the north of my state, and features an AMAZING aquarium run by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (that’s GBRMPA for those of you playing at home) because it’s right off the Great Barrier Reef. I loved visiting the aquarium as a kid and teenager. It has one of those cool tunnels that you can walk through under the fish and sharks. The fish are out of this world.
I looked through my stash and found this beautiful blue, black and white mesh that I found at a fabric swap in 2018. It’s so damn tropical and reminds me of the sea and the amazing tropical plants in Nth Qld, which as I said, is close to the reef.
I also was stuck for a pattern because it’s 1: the middle of summer and 2: in the middle of a heat wave. Australia has broken heat records in the last week!
So I had found a cool fabric, but I needed a cool pattern. I came up with the Lisette B6464 kimono jacket/cardigan. It’s super loose and lets the breeze through!
Of course I made it and decided that I could wear it with jeans or shorts. But I was too excited to wait for the morning for my husband to get home, so I took a few photos with my tripod:
Not having made one of these before I found that I really love it! It’s super comfy and perfect for lounging around the house or going to the movies.
And now for the standard review:
Pattern Description: Loose fitted kimono jacket/cardigan, Butterick B6464 by Lisette Pattern Sizing: 6-14 (used 14) Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Different fit as it is a knit. Were the instructions easy to follow? Didn’t use the instructions Fabric Used: Knit mesh and black cotton jersey from the stash Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, super easy to make Conclusion: Currently looking through my stash for more fabric to make another
We took a short, but lovely, holiday in Melbourne in mid November. Of course I purchased fabric, but I have been trying to be more thoughtful about my purchases.
A couple of weeks before we went away Megan Nielsen released the Floreat Dress. I kept looking at the grey linen sample, so I picked up some lovely Japanese linen from Tessuti in Melbourne CBD.
This dress was made to wear to my dear friend Tiffany’s wedding (I also made the dress, but Tiff has requested that I wait a while before posting that! But I am going to count the fabric in this post so I have a more impressive 2018 total).
I checked the pattern against my blocks. I don’t recall making any adjustments. But I finished this on 1 December, and Christmas has done its job of making me forget this year.
I wore this dress as much as I could between 1 December and 24 December, when it was tossed aside in favour of my Christmas Day dress 😉
The short sleeve Floreat uses about 3m.
Tiffany’s wedding dress was silk with a satin viscose twill lining. About 5m total.
I wore it to work yesterday and to a Frocktober fundraiser we ran with the Brisbane Spoolettes. We went to see the Vivienne Westwood documentary. It was a bit odd, but at least you got to look at the pretty dresses!
I met up with my fellow Frocktoberian Colette after work for a wine at her place before we went to the cinema. Of course, we took photos!
Photo shoot at Colette’s after work
We also took photos after the movie.
Each Sew Over It Edie dress uses 1.5m! It takes about 2 hours to sew and it’s perfect for funky prints. 2018 TOTAL FABRIC USED = 49.5m